Monday 21 March 2011

Weekend food fun.

And what a fun weekend it has been. This week is my last week of teaching from my first year of university, and I'm determined to enjoy myself, even if I do have to empty my freezer at the same time.

I've been wanting to try these for ages but couldn't really justify the price - I think they're usually about £3. Luckily, this one was on sale for a quid....



It's a bit like a very posh pot noodle. You add some boiling water and give it a stir. That's it. It was nice, though sadly lacking in prawns - I think there was about three in the whole pot. I gave it a sploosh of lime juice and soy and snipped in some sad-looking coriander that was lying in my fridge, and it took it to another level, it really was good.

To celebrate St Patrick's Day (Woo.) I had some friends over and we had sausages and potato salad.


It was wonderfully summery, and it matched with the weather. It was certainly the least Irish and best way to celebrate St Paddy's Day.

My tea on Friday was linguine with onions and parsley and chilli and garlic. It was delicious and simple.


On Saturday we went to Ikea. Before I left home, it was a good two-and-a-half hour drive to Ikea, and everyone hated it. Now, it's a fifteen minute bus journey and it's a fun day out. It's possibly one of the best things about being at uni.

Especially the food:



That's a prawn and egg open sandwich. It was on this really seedy black bread, it was so so so good. I've always known prawn and eggs were a good combination - indeed, Marks and Spencers used to do a sandwich that I was sometimes allowed for a treat when I was little, but they stopped making them years ago - but I have often been pooh-poohed. Now we know, don't we? Yum.

My friend Iveta made me a Lithuanian dish on Saturday - it's a bit like spaghetti Bolognese but with cabbage. Sort of.


Anyway, it was delicious, and it had loads of Worcestershire sauce in it which I find hilarious since I've always imagined it to be strictly English.

Cream slice for pudding. Three words:

Best. Food. Ever.


I was watching umpteen food videos on YouTube on Sunday (There are some seriously bad ones out there. Who needs to know how to make a peanut butter sandwich?) and I saw one for a tuna melt. Now I know how to make a tuna melt, but it got me thinking. I had tuna-cheese-on-toast. I ate it with some pickled jalapenos and it was great.


Tea last night was stirfried cabbage with noodles and some ginger chicken (From the freezer!).



This was good too, though nothing special. And I do have tons of cabbage left.

Told you it was a fun weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Your school should put that in its advertisements: "We're close to IKEA! It's one of the best things about us!

    ReplyDelete