Thursday 3 March 2011

An experiment.

I hate Wednesdays. I mean it - I really dislike them. It's nothing personal - it's the fault of my timetable. From one o'clock until bedtime, I have nothing. It's so boring. No tutorials, lectures, clubs, orchestra, nuffink.

So I'm sure you can imagine the excitement that lit up my face when my friend Iveta presented me with a challenge. Could we make a £1 Tesco Value pizza taste good?

No, alright. I wasn't excited. I was bored as heck after an entire afternoon of cutting up cookery magazines, and very very dubious.


Yes, I'm aware that that's an empty wrapper. I didn't want to repulse you. It seriously looked horrid. The cheese was all on one side and the base looked like cardboard. The challenge was not looking good.

I started by sprinkling it with copious amounts of basil and oregano, and Iveta donated some mushrooms and smoked ham. We added extra cheese and some olives that were in my fridge. At this point, it actually looked quite pretty.


We felt there was no more we could do. So we shoved it in the oven and waited, hearts pounding and with baited breath. Just kidding. It's Tesco Value. Oh, I drizzled it with my magic garlic oil, too.


Look! Edible goodness! It worked! We are culinary geniuses. Kind of. Well, it was alright. It needed salt and pepper. A lot of pepper. But mainly, the point is, that it was edible and tasted mostly of olives and mushroom. And it was a massive pizza. For a quid, this was a bargain.

Look, I wasn't promising Michelin-starred essence-of-fennel-coated-veal-with-shavings-of-southern-french-peasant. You can't polish something nasty (if the saying is what I think it is, I don't wish to type it). But it filled us up, and didn't taste actively unpleasant.

On a scale of one to yummy? About an 8.

4 comments:

  1. I've tried this kind of thing before, Emily. (Usually when drunk, though, not just bored.) The problem with these cheap pizzas is that the crust and the sauce are usually the ABSOLUTE lowest quality they can find. So when you pile gourmet toppings on them, basically all you can taste are the toppings. As you discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well indeed. But for a quid.... I think it'd need stronger toppings, like some chillies or capers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call. Fresh & Easy (a subsidiary of Tesco in California) has jars of sliced pepperoncini for $1.89 (1.16 pound). I throw those on cheap pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I wish we had those over here in ol' Blighty. So unfair.

    ReplyDelete