Tuesday 15 February 2011

Tapas!

It's my friend Frank's birthday today. Happy birthday, Frank! Anyhow, when I was home over my ridiculously long weekend, we went out for tapas to celebrate.

We'd been to Bodega (a bar in Bowness) before, so I knew what to expect. Oddly enough, I'm sure that we were talking about how I should start a food blog, last time we were there. Anyhow. It was mostly lovely last time, and we were looking forward to going.

The only problem is that it's quite moodily and/or romantically lit, so all of the pictures are very dark. I don't like using my flash anyway, and especially in such a small restaurant. Oh well. They have a list of about 40 different tapas, and on the back are a couple of platters. We got the 'Bodega Especial' which had bread, Manchego and meats on it.


It was really delicious. The cheese was good, though not as good as the one I had in Spain, daahhhling. I was really really surprised by the ham (the one in the middle) - I'm not sure whether it was Parma or Serrano or something else altogether but it was SO tender and melty. Far and away the best air-dried ham I've ever had. However (and it's not a good however) there was some chorizo on it. Two kinds, to be precise. And that was the problem - the cured, salami kind was delicious, but there was also the sausage kind which I'm pretty sure you have to cook to eat. And it was raw. I was sick later that night, but there were other reasons why I could have been so. I'm just not sure I'd risk it again. It was the only blemish, though.

Other tapas:



We got Spanish omelette, ribs (which there aren't a picture of), garlic prawns, and 'Rollitos', which were mozzarella wrapped in the same ham as before and grilled. The prawns were über delicious, and we mopped up all of the garlic butter with some bread (which was also delicious and really soft.) The ribs were really really tender, but I wasn't a massive fan of the sauce they came in - it was a bit too barbecue-y. Frank liked them though. The tortilla was really good - nice and moist. And finally, the Rollitos were REALLY good - the ham you know I love, and the mozzarella was all soft and melty.

Here is Frank's beer, of which he forced me to take a photograph:


And I had (one too many) gin and tonics. But for one of them, the lime was missing and they brought me it, all on its own little plate. I thought it looked funny.


We had puddings. A bad idea. Not because they weren't good, we were just SO FULL.
 I had crème brûlée and Frank had Lumpy Bumpy. No, I don't know either. It looked chocolatey, but I could be wrong.



Mine was good, though, and Frank ate all of his.

It was a lovely evening. Even if I did have too much gin; and if I said how much, you'd laugh. Because I hardly had any. Oh well!

So, on a scale of one to yummy? Maybe a 17.

1 comment:

  1. YAY MY BEER GOT A PHOTO ON THE BLOG.
    However I still want that picture of me grinning my arse off for Facebook....

    ReplyDelete