Monday 7 February 2011

Emergencies, Ikea and Mussels

I somehow thought on Friday that a small McDonald's cheeseburger - eaten at around 4 - would do me for my tea after a hard day's shopping. Oh, what a fool I was.

Oh well. An emergency tea was called for. Luckily, I STILL had the remnants of that chorizo hanging around so I reckoned I'd just fry it and make a sandwich. But there wasn't that much left, and I chanced upon a tin of new potatoes in my cupboard. I fried it all together and ate it with some salsa and sour cream. And of course some bread and butter. I am English, after all.


It filled the gap.

We went on a trip to Ikea - my favourite shop ever - on Saturday and naturally we went to the café for lunch. I had gravad lax which was delicious as always, and apple cake which wasn't cake. It was more like a tart, but it was still delicious. My friends all had meatballs. (Of course I stole one, who do you think I am?)




I keep forgetting to take pictures of my food, especially when I'm out. I haven't got used to this whole food-blogging lark yet. That's why pictures of my food tend to be half-eaten. Sorry about that...

My friend Emily wanted me to take a picture of her pudding, so here it is: (though actually I'm quite sure it was her that took the picture...)


I had a small nibble; it was delicious.

Yesterday I was stuck for what to have for dinner. I was wandering round the shops in a sort of confused and hungry daze and I saw these:


Meh, I thought. Why not.

Then I remembered this delicious dish of mussels I'd had a while ago that were with tomato sauce and black olives. I fried lots of garlic and spring onion in lots of butter with some green chilli, added some chopped tinned tomatoes and black olives, and the mussels, some parsley and some basil and let it simmer away for a minute or two.



I ate them with some bread. They were good. Though, I suppose, not as good as fresh mussels (since these ones were already cooked) - but the only fresh mussels I could find came in a bag that looked like it might serve about six people. Oh well. They were tasty and just what I felt like.

It was a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had mussels with tomatoes and olives before, sounds like a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely good. I like it much better than the ubiquitous white wine/butter/garlic combo - much of a fan of white wine/butter/garlic as I am.

    ReplyDelete