Tuesday 22 February 2011

Lunch and Afternoon Tea

You know I went to the Kelvingrove café? Yes, you do, don't be silly. It was here.

Remember now?

Anyway. I only mention it because my wonderful Nanny (she's actually a grandma, technically. Not like a Mary-Poppins-nanny.) came to visit, and I seem to remember mentioning something about the café at the Kelvingrove being suitable for such revered members of the public and family as herself. (I have to suck up so that she'll take me to Jamie Oliver's italian restaurant next time.)

Moving on, we went for lunch on Friday. We were both starving, so I got fish'n'chips, baby, oh yeah, and Nanny got some sort of Greek lamb stew.

Here is my amazing lunch:


Dang, it was good. The only let-down was that there were peas. I mean, why would you do that? Mushy peas are at least traditional (if yukky), but Bird's Eye Petit Pois? Non.  Apart from that, the fish was so moist and flaky; and the chips were just incredible - my camera steamed up a bit, which is why it looks a bit like a 1940s cheesy film when they put Vaseline on the lens - but they were really crispy and fluffy in all the right places.

Here is Nanny's lunch - 'slow cooked Greek style lamb stew, gently simmered with olives, garlic, cinnamon and lemon.'


I may have tried a tiny bit. It was really good as well. The lamb was just falling apart. It was also slightly more weather appropriate than my choice...

On a scale of one to yummy? 'Bout a 17.

On another note, it was my friend Emily's birthday yesterday. Happy birthday Emily! That's why I didn't get round to writing a post. We were too busy, having afternoon tea! She took me to this tiny place called the Hidden Lane Tearoom. It was amazing - full of random bits of crockery and scones. They had a miniature sampler that said 'What Would Delia Do?' which amused me greatly.

Anyway, I had a pot of raspberry flower tea:


Some cocoanut, white chocolate, caramel, shortbread (I know! Insane!) which I didn't take a picture of, sadly, and a cupcake, which we'll come to in a second. Others had brownies and Amaretto cupcakes:



....which apparently were very good.

Now for my cupcake. My reasons for putting it off are twofold - for one, it's especially beautiful; and for another, I found a cool picture-editing thing that happened to be on my laptop and so faffed around withthe picture. Naturally, I managed to delete the original and as such, the picture's a bit arty-farty. Oh. I just realised I put it as the title picture at the top. That's my surprise ruined. Oh, well, here it is anyway:


Ah-hah! No, this one's slightly different to the one at the top! Oh well. It is pretty though, isn't it?

So on a scale of one to yummy, possibly even a 19. I need to go back and check their other wares...

Good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of fish is that? It's looks very long and slender. Still looks good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was haddock. Not in fillets, obviously, more like very fancy fish fingers. But it really was good.

    ReplyDelete