Monday 24 January 2011

Wudon

When my dad was here I assumed he'd be taking me out for dinner - that's what parents are for, of course; and I'd had my eye on a place called Wudon just down the road. I've had takeaway from it once but we didn't order good takeaway things - we got soup and by the time we'd drunk it everything else was cold and the tempura was soggy. Anyhow, I was eager to try it properly. It doesn't claim to be a particular cuisine - there's Chinese, Thai and Korean on the menu, but it seems to lean mostly toward Japanese. They have a sushi menu too but we weren't there for sushi.


Now, I've never been to a proper Asian restaurant. Sure, I've been to the local Chinese, but not anything remotely elegant. We got edamame and giant prawn crackers -


I forgot to take pictures, which is why they are half-eaten. I've only had these from Bird's Eye, like peas, and they weren't very nice. But these were delicious, though I'm not sure to what extent that was the beans, or my addiction to salt. I've had the giant prawn crackers before, and they were very nice, but pretty standard.

They have a section on the menu called 'wee plates' (we are in Glasgow after all) and they suggest two or three of these with a side. I got pork dumplings, and grilled prawns, with a side of fried udon.


You can just see the dumplings in the corners. The prawns were in a sort of oniony sauce and were delicious. The dumplings I've had before and forgotten - the skins were good but the filling just doesn't do it for me - it tastes a bit too much like a sausage.

The noodles, though, stole the show. They were springy, juicy, salty and slimy (but in a good way). Mmmmm, they were really good. Sadly I couldn't finish them all, but they do these with extras rather than as a side, and I think I'll be back for that.

My dad had some kind of fish rice bowl:


It had prawns, eel, squid and fish roe in. I wasn't a fan - I don't like the fish roe - but he loved it.

I had the most delicious pudding - pears deep fried and coated in hard toffee and sesame seeds. I forgot to take a picture because I was too busy scarfing it down. Oooh, it was good.

So, on a scale of one to yummy, a 16 (excluding the dumplings).

I'll be posting some more of my own food soon, I just had rather a busy week last week with visitors and eating out. Back to home cooking...

No comments:

Post a Comment