Friday 21 January 2011

Kelvingrove Museum Café

So the sort of go-to place for me on a nasty day or when I have visitors is the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. I love it - there's a bit of everything, and also it's bloomin' huge. Yesterday was a particularly nasty day, and I had a visitor too, so I managed to kill two birds with one stone. That only kind of makes sense, but it's the closest saying I could think of.


It really was a horrid day.

But we had a lovely couple of hours looking round and having pictures taken with the Giant Irish Moose, and we were lucky enough to catch the organ recital which I've always missed for one reason or another. Anyhow, we were peckish. I've never really had much experience with museum cafés - it's the sort of place you take a picnic to. But it obviously wasn't picnic weather, and the small coffee shop only sold ridiculously over-priced and under-imaginative sandwiches; so we braved the café downstairs, and it was very nice - all sleek white tables and exposed brick.

You have to wait to be seated, and when you get there, there's a funny white thing on the table (which looks a bit like the Tweenie clock, but also like a baby alarm) with buttons on it. 'Bill' and 'Waiter service' were pretty self-explanatory, but 'Child lock' and a rather ambiguous '1' and '2' were slightly more confusing.

None of the sandwich options really appealed to me so I got a 'Winter Salad' -


It was apparently 'roasted seeds and nuts with cous cous, chicory, apple and smoke-roasted venison with walnut dressing'. I haven't had venison before and it was really quite delicious - quite juicy with a nice smoky flavour. There wasn't any apple as far as I could tell, and the walnut dressing seemd to be a couple of walnuts on the side - but I'm not walnuts' biggest fan anyway, so I just left 'em. There was giant cous cous and lentils in the salad, along with some other generic orange vegetable - carrot? Pepper? Overall, it was really nice - miles away from universal student fare - though my friend Emily had a mezze plate which had some very pungent and garlicky feta, so of course once I'd tried that my salt-crazed palate found the salad a bit bland. Maybe it could have done with some garlic, or chilli or something.

Anyhow, the whole place just felt nice and relaxing - most of the people in there were over the age of 50, which is always a good sign, I feel. The bill came to £13.40 which for my salad, Emily's mezze plate and Hana's spicy tuna sandwich I didn't think was too bad.

I think it's the sort of place I'll have to take my Nanny when she comes to visit... I feel a plan forming.

So, on a scale of one to yummy, about a 14.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I'm not gonna lie. That venison looks DELICIOUS.
    What the hell is giant cous cous!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, cous cous. But giant. Like tiny pasta. It's nicer than normal cous cous...

    ReplyDelete