Thursday 10 March 2011

Rösti and salmon

I've been craving rösti for some time now. 'Well, no more!', I thought to myself as I bought some potatoes.

Along with my rösti, I had some salmon. Let me clarify - a while ago Marks and Sparks had a deal on where you could buy three packets of fish for £10. Naturally, being the freezer-addicted fish fan I am, I took advantage, and along with some sea bass and the squid you saw last night, I bought a packet of 'Lightly Smoked Salmon Fillets'. I've seen them around a lot recently - I think they're pretty much smoked salmon but you have to cook it. Anyway, I just wasn't sure what to eat with them. Now with normal smoked salmon I love this idea I got from Tessa Kiros's book Falling Cloudberries - it's very Swedish. You have the smoked salmon, then a small pile each of red onion, capers, dill, lemon sections, and chopped hard-boiled egg white and yolk. She suggests serving it with potato pancakes. Now, I can never be bothered boiling an egg, If I'm honest, and I don't like dill. But the onion and capers are really good with the salmon.

Anyway, I didn't have any normal smoked salmon, did I? So I decided to just slice up my salmon fillet and fry it really quickly - y'know, just so I didn't get food poisoning. It's never fun when that happens.



Alright, so I didn't have any red onion either. But the spring onions sufficed, and I had some sour cream too. It was really good, actually - rösti are so easy to make and they're delicious. I should definitely cook them more often. Any suggestions on what else to eat them with?

On a scale of one to yummy - a 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment