Thursday 24 March 2011

Picnic food.

Sorry about the silence - I know all three of my readers must be parched from the lack of posts recently. Truth be told, I was going to make up some excuse about being horribly busy what with it being last week of term and things, but honestly it's just been practically tropical and I've been outside all the time.

So what with the lovely weather and everything, I've barely been  near a computer. Today, however, I make an exception. We had a picnic today and (naturally) I provided most of the food - thanks go to my friend Louise for the breadsticks and popcorn.

I made bread and butter and tomatoes:


Nothing's better than a salty tomato. (Nobody agrees with me on this.)

These random smoked salmon parcels that I found at the bottom of my freezer (I hope they were mine...)


And, my pièce de résistance: chicken and bacon salad.


The best thing about picnics in general, I think, is they way you pack everything up. So I had salad in one box, bread in another, a tiny twist of salt in foil, and butter in a little pot. It satisfies my OCD side. Sadly, though we forgot some important things for a picnic (only one of them was my fault) - a rug, a ball, and boiled eggs. Next time!


However, the best thing about this picnic in particular is that it almost completely emptied my fridge/freezer! And tonight, my friends and I are all getting together to finish off what's left. I know there's going to be fish fingers, chicken wings, burgers, and wedges on the menu (so far). So fingers crossed, it'll all be gone by Saturday and I can go home with a clear mind! Yes, I do take food that seriously.

And as an aside (ooh, alliterative) I had a lemon cheesecake milkshake the other day.



I don't know how they made it but I have a suspicion they threw some lemon cheesecake and some milk in a blender and whizzed. Whatever, it worked.

On a scale of one to yummy? The milkshake, a 17. The picnic, due to the lack of boiled eggs, a 16.

1 comment:

  1. Two of my good friend are Scottish; they met at a bar in Glasgow. The lived here in California for several years but moved back to Scotland. We all took bets on how long it would be before they moved back to California - turned out it was a little over two years. They just missed the weather too much in California. The reason I'm sharing this with you is because I've heard plenty of stories about lousy weather there, so I do not blame you one bit for enjoying the weather when it's nice instead of hanging out inside huddled over a computer.

    ReplyDelete