Wednesday 9 March 2011

'Quick Calamari Pasta'

So you remember my delicious pasta that I ate with prawns? It was hardly a long time ago, come along now. It was yummy.

Anyway, you'll remember also that I planned to make one of Nigella Lawson's recipes, called Quick Calamari Pasta. Well, I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that I made it just last night. (Naturally, I had squid in the freezer or I wouldn't have made it otherwise. I am boycotting any recipe that doesn't use at least one thing from the freezer.)


It was pretty easy, really - you just put the pasta on to boil and while it's cooking you fry some spring onion, chilli, and garlic in oil until they look a bit soft. Then you add the squid, let that fry for two minutes, add some white wine, let that bubble for two minutes, then add a blob of butter and some pasta cooking water. The you drain the pasta  and mix it with the sauce and some parsley.




Obviously it looks nothing like the photo in the book, but - it was possibly the best pasta dish I've ever had. It was amazing. So simple and yet so deeply salty and sea-ey. I livened it up a bit with a squirt of lemon and some pepper - I put pepper on everything - and seriously, I could have eaten at least twice this amount. Yumboes. My only quandary was whether to put more chilli in or not - it wasn't very spicy but then again it would have taken away from the squiddiness if it were.

On a scale of one to yummy? About an 18....

1 comment: