Friday 4 February 2011

Monkfish...

All right, relatives who are reading. I know monkfish is expensive...! I wasn't prepared for quite how expensive, though. A chunk as big as my (tiny) fist cost me three quid(!)

The rest of the stuff was in my fridge though, and needing eating. So a meal for £3 isn't that bad. Anyhow, I still had loads of chorizo left, so I thought I'd just go along with some of the stuff I've cooked recently, though I can't remember exactly what I did. I think I fried some chorizo, and fished it out, then fried a couple of spring onions and some cumin and smoked paprika in the oil. I chucked in one of those tiny bags of veg from Marks and Spencers, one that had cabbage, leek, and broccoli in. Then I tipped in a small tin of borlotti beans and some Tesco tomatoes and garlic.


I chopped up the monkfish into strips and tossed them in some chipotle and smoked paprika.


Then I fried them, shoved them on top of the stew-thing with lots of parsley, lime juice and spring onion and stuffed my face.


It was delicious. Though, I do have to say, I wasn't that impressed with the monkfish. It just tasted generically fishy to me - it could have been cod or haddock, though it was slightly firmer. I've had it barbequed at a restaurant and it was really meaty and delicious, so p'raps that's the way to go.

Anyhow, I cook that stew fairly often because it's so easy and delicious, but the addition of fish is a new one and I think I'll need to experiment a bit more.

On a scale of one to yummy, then, a 14.

Update: I did actually chuck the chorizo back in again. It didn't just sit there on the side!...

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you think about money. Considering all food lying around your kitchen as obtained for free... that's certainly a way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I suppose it's not the BEST way forward. But I suppose I just meant it didn't come out of my weekly budget. No, that's just an excuse. I DID consider it to be free.

    ReplyDelete