Thursday 3 February 2011

Curry!

I was at home at the weekend and my fair and revered mother made a curry and it got me thinking. I hadn't made a curry all the time I've been at uni, so naturally...

I made what is known in our house as 'spicy sauce' and comes via a Nigel Slater recipe which is called something along the lines of Cardamom Chicken. It's really easy and delicious - you just fry onions and garlic and chicken, add turmeric and cardamom and something else (either coriander or cumin, I can't remember which) and some stock - then, when it's syrupy and the chicken's cooked, you add equal amounts of yoghurt and cream. It's my little sister's favourite - she won't eat chicken, 'spicy' things or rice in any other combination - and always requested for special occasions.

It looks so pretty when you stir in the cream.


Well, that's not a very good picture. But it does, honest. I was going to add some coriander and green chilli but I thought it would be a bit sacrilegious and I wanted it to taste like home. Which it totally did.

I was going to have rice, but I had some lentils in the cupboard and I wanted something spicy too, so I made dahl. It was a bit more complicated than the curry but suffice to say it was delicious - and had the necessary coriander and chilli too.


It turned out a bit soupy, so I'll use less water next time. Comment if you want the recipe, it's a bit long-winded to type.

Anyhow, we ate it all up - well mostly, I just had the leftovers for my tea today - with naan and mango chutney. I think the dahl could have done with a bit more chilli and a pinch of salt, but the Spicy Sauce was fab as usual.


I think I'll definitely be making more curries in the future... Watch this space! No, seriously. My viewings are dropping like flies.

So, on a scale of one to yummy? About a 16!

2 comments:

  1. I hate making dal, it's such a faff. It does freeze well though so I generally make loads at once and then tuck it away in small portions.

    I'm sure I have the cardamom chicken recipe somewhere, must give it a go, looks (and sounds!) delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious. I think it's in the 30 Minute Cook, if that helps. Though the recipe may be considerably different; we've cooked it so many times over that years it's inevitably not going to be the same...!

    ReplyDelete