Monday 17 January 2011

Pizza.

I'm a big fan of pizza. So when I saw my favourite pizza of all time (well, cook-at-home pizza) on special offer, I sort of went a bit mad. But it was only temporary. Pizza Express pizza is the best pizza that's ever come out of my oven, and is high on the list of my favourite pizza ever.

Now, people make a lot of fuss about pizza. Is it thin, is it topped correctly, how long has is been cooked for, is it true to its roots - well I have to say, I don't give a fig really. We're not in Italy, we're not even in a restaurant; we're in my kitchen and it's my tea. I like my pizzas thin, but not jaw-shatteringly crispy, I like them topped with not very much sauce and a nice amount of cheese, and I usually want pepperoni on it. Mmmmm. Pepperoni.

Luckily, this Pizza Express one manages to do all of that:


Yum. It's been voted the 'Best Spicy Pizza' in the Observer Food Monthly, which I suppose is a bit of an achievement. Pizza Express pizzas have little cubes of mozzarella on, rather than the ubiquitous grated stuff, which usually creeps me out a bit. How can you grate mozzarella? Isn't it too squidgy? Anyway, I like the effect it has. Little pools of cheese, rather than a blanket. They require you to drizzle over a tablespoonful of olive oil before it goes in the oven. I'm not sure if this is a bit of a gimmick, but it does seem to make a bit of a difference - especially since the little cubes of cheese don't cover the entire pizza, so if you don't drizzle it does end up a bit dry.

While the pizza was in the oven (it only takes 10 minutes), I made a bit of salad.


Pretty standard, really. But the one thing I'm insanely evangelical about is this stuff:


It's delicious. Really, really, good. The garlic flavour is almost sweet - it's not bitter or hot like raw garlic, more like roast. Anyway, it makes the best salad dressing with just a squeeze of lemon.

Then I went to watch some How I Met Your Mother.

What? I'm a student.....

Out came my pizza:


I have to admit, one of the main reasons I like this pizza is those 'hot green peppers'. They're delicious - not just spicy, salty too, and they have a sort of chewy crispy texture. Mmm-mmmmm.

Anyway, it was delicious. And for pudding? Well, I'm still trying to be a bit healthier to counteract the tonsilitis. Ish. Well, also, it was Waitrose, and I couldn't resist...


So, on a scale of one to yummy, at least a 15. YUM.

2 comments:

  1. I often add hot peppers (banana peppers, pepperoncini, serrano, etc.) to the pizzas I make at home. Sometimes I'm too lazy to make a pizza so I just buy a frozen cheese pizza and add the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not hot peppers in general. It's THESE ones. They're not even the same in Pizza Express restaurants. One of these days, they'll stop doing them and I'll retire to an early grave.

    ReplyDelete